Thursday, April 3, 2014

Math Night

Math Night
 
In our class the fifth grade class for Math Night we made fruit salad equations, we made two game boards for three in a row, and on a sharp board we did different math fractions. For the fruit salad equations we had cut up apples, oranges, strawberries, and bananas. On a sheet of paper you write the fraction for the amount of apples, oranges, strawberries, and bananas you want I you fruit salad. Your fruit salad may have the total amount of 16 pieces of fruit. For example, you could have 4/16 apples, 4/16 oranges, 4/16 strawberries, and 4/16 bananas. Since 4/16+4/16+4/16+4/16=16/16 you can have that equation for your fruit salad.
 
 The game three in a row is where you play on a game board. The way you play is… you are supposed to play with two people or more. You role two dice. Let's say that I rolled a 6 and a 9, your fraction will be 6/9. After your role you try to find 6/9 on the game board. If 6/9 is not there then you simplify 6/9 to let's say 2/3 or something else. If the fraction is still not their then you can role again. You mark the game with different color circle things that you might use for bingo. You have to get three in a row to win.
 
 The Sharp board game is where you have two fractions, make the denominator the same number as the numerator. After you get your fraction you add them up to find your answer. For example, if you have the two fractions 4/16 and 2/8 the denominator 8 is smaller than 16. To get the same denominator you have to multiply 8 by 2, because 8+8=16. Since you always have to multiply the numerator by the same number as the denominator, the 2 becomes 4. Now you have the math problem 4/16, and 4/16+4/16=8/16. The last step is if you have to simplify your answer, like 8/16 you simplify 8/16. Since 8 is half of 16 your answer simplified will be 1/2.
 
I liked Math Night a lot. The reason for this is that you can learn different math concepts and learn new things. I hope there will be a Math Night every year, for years to come.   
 
 
Do you like Math Night?
Have you ever been to Math Night?

1 comment:

  1. Dear Binyamin,
    You asked if I had been to math night. I actually have. I also wanted to say that it was really fun. That's great that you were there to learn math concepts but what was your favorite booth. Let me guess the booth that I made right.

    -Gabe

    ReplyDelete